Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 11, 2010

The good, the bad, and the boggy

The good: So today started out just fine. We headed out to meet some other homeschoolers to go see the Percy Jackson movie, got a little popcorn, and hang out. The movie was pretty good - I liked it. Some of the kids were not as keen on it because it didn't follow the book very well. K loved it despite the fact that she had read the book twice.

The bad: After the movie, right about when we got home, both K and I had VERY upset stomachs. Bad popcorn butter or something. It was fortunately short lived, but not before we had to deal with the dog...

The boggy: So the dog wanted to go out and I was not feeling great at that exact moment. I let her out to go play in the yard by herself. We have a detached garage that has a little strip of the yard behind it that has a gate. I have been discouraging both the kid and the dog from going back there, especially since it is covered in ivy and K found a rusty machete back there. We put a chunk of wood by the gate to keep the dog from pushing the gate open, but she apparently got through it anyway. About 20 minutes later, I called the dog in - like quiet kids, you don't want to leave your dog alone if they're too quiet. So I called to the dog....no repsonse....I called again....no response....finally I called out "treats" and the dog came barreling through the gate, across the yard, up the steps, and through the door. I think it was my dog anyway, but I couldn't be sure at the time because she was covered in black goo that smelled like the sewer. OOHHH!! UGH!!! GAG!!!

I quickly flew into action grabbing the dog shampoo and towel (fortunately I could find them!). I lured the dog into the bedroom and then tried to get her into the bathroom. The dog took one look at me and would have bolted had I not closed the bedroom door. I tried luring her into the bathroom with the treats she first ran into the house for, but she refused. I resorted to grabbing her by the collar and literally dragging her into the bathroom. Then I realized my dilema - I don't have a big ol' shower with a low threshold anymore. We have a small shower/tub combo with sliding doors. So I opened the door and threw the treat in. The dog just looked at me. Then I dragged her over to the opening and lifted her front end only to have the big bunny feet on the hind end use the tub as leverage to push us away. Finally, I grabbed both the front and back end and lifted her struggling 60 pounds, hoping not to take the door off in the process, and dumped her butt in and closed the door. Whew!

During the struggle, the black gook got all over my jeans and I was dying from the smell. Figuring she was safe for the moment, I grabbed a few other items, changed my pants and started a load of laundry. Then I went back and cleaned the dog. Not very easy since I am used to having a sprayer to hit the undersides.

Anyway, black gook was off the dog and the smell could only be found if you got your nose really really close. Mission mostly accomplished. I toweled her off and sat down to my computer. K had called me over because Mark had been IMing me. I found out he needed me to make a phone call. Hmmmmm.... "where is my phone?", I thought to myself. Then I heard an occasional "thump thump" from the washer. I thought "noooooo, couldn't be". Well.....yep, in my haste to rid myself of the foul smell, I had forgotten to take my phone out of my pants pocket!!!!!!

SHOOOOOOT!!!!

End of the story - Yeah, I have a new phone. Same number and all, but new phone.

Plans for tomorrow:




These are the two choices we are looking at this weekend. Hopefully, something will pan out. Both have a little land. The one story has bee boxes and fruit trees. The two story has a really big greenhouse and a barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment