Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Did I just see Dorthy??

So the washer and dryer are now both finally hooked up and the 2 weeks of laundry are in the process of getting clean.

When we first bought our H.E. washer, we noticed that the spin cycle kind of sounded like an engine revving or a helicopter taking off. That was on a concrete slab....

Now, we live on a raised foundation of a 80 year old or so house... Let me conjure an image: Have you ever seen the famous video of the Tacoma-Narrows Bridge? It was a bridge that collapsed due to the winds creating a vibration pattern that became amplified and caused structural failure. So now back to the washer.... What was once a sound to behold, is now a sound amplified by the crawl space AND vibration traveling across the entire house! It is like we are trying to create our own tornado, so, if we go missing, check OZ!

If that were not enough, add in the dryer spinning. Oh, I haven't even explained where this is all taking place ----- well that adds even more fun to the mix! In the middle of the house is the laundry....let's go with closet. It has shutter doors that barely close without hitting the machines. I don't even dare close them completely when the machines are running because both the doors and machines would be scarred for life. So now, imagine the washer is taking off, the dryer is spinning up a storm, and I, without thinking, add one more element to the mix.

In the kitchen, about 10 feet from the laundry closet, which is in the dining....area, is the dishwasher. It is about the loudest dishwasher I have ever heard - chugging, grinding, etc. Last night, as I was going to bed, I had started the dishwasher so we would have clean dishes by morning. I also had the washing machine going with a load that had not completed, and the dryer finishing off some clothes.

The master bedroom is about 3 feet from the laundry closet... 13 feet from the dishwasher.... the cacophony of sound suddenly reached a crescendo right about the time that I got all relaxed and my eyes were gently closing. Mark was completely asleep, but the dog jumped up and wanted to go outside. (apparently Journey is a little brighter than Toto!) It was a huge racket that made me all to happy to take the dog out. As I walked across the floor, it just shook with intense vibration. I am pretty sure that the house was just not built to handle all our "modern conveniences".

Sleep came a little later than hoped for.

Note to self: One chore at a time and long before bed.

Today - I continued to get the laundry going. Over the course of a few loads, the washer had vibrated itself over to the point where there was a small dip in the floor. When the spin cycle started, the rocking began and the hulking machine just about walked out of the closet! Who knew laundry was so eventful?

No comments:

Post a Comment